York Area Stats
In 2015, Wandsworth local plan indicated that building above 9 storeys within the York Road area would be unlikely to be approved… then you can just consider how seriously the Council is considering their own policies.
Additional approved+under consideration proposals since 2014 in the York Road area:
|12-14 Lombard Rd||28||135||27||0|
|198 York Rd||24||299||50||0|
|98 York Rd||17||173||43||0|
|55-66 Gwynne Rd||14||33||11||0|
|100 York Rd||25||136||28||0|
|58-70 York Rd||14||82||29||0|
|Big Yellow Site||20||168||60||0|
NB: the London Affordable Housing Targets, states “60% of the affordable housing provision should be for social and affordable rent and 40% for intermediate rent or sale”.
York Road turned into an area of tall buildings in just a few years
It has become a habit: since Wandsworth Council decided (of course not publicly during electoral campaign) that York Road was to become an area of high density buildings, developers have a lot of fun (see here and there for instance). In view of the number of towers of more than 15 storeys that have been proposed, approved and constructed within the last 3 years, anything less than 30 storeys should be approved based on similarity.
In the graph above, none of the towers above 10 storeys (with the exception of the 15-storey heliport and the 24 storeys at 15 Yelverton Rd) existed 3 years ago ! (and it all started with the 28-storey Lombard Road tower, built despite multiple objections and contrary to the then local policy – which was amended later to suit the need).
An update list of the recent constructions, approved developments and current proposals is:
- Heliport Heights [p.a. 2013/6052]: Up to 20 storeys (15 storeys over the existing five-storey Heliport House), 14 residential units, 0 % (0) Affordable Housing. APPROVED 17/07/2014.
- 12-14 Lombard Rd [p.a 2014/6909]: Up to 28 storeys, 135 residential units, 20 % (27) Affordable Housing (100% Intermediate/shared ownership units). APPROVED 12/06/2015 and Completed.
- 198 York Rd (Homebase Site) [p.a. 2017/3699]: Up to 24 storeys, 299 residential units, 15 % (50) Affordable Housing (100% Intermediate). APPROVED 22/10/2015 and Under Construction.
- 98 York Rd Lookers [p.a. 2015/5308]: Up to 17 storeys, 173 residential units, 25 % (43) Affordable Housing (100% Intermediate). APPROVED 18/12/2015.and Under Construction.
- 55-66 Gwynne Road [p.a. 2014/5357]: Up to 14 storeys, 33 residential units, 33 % (11) Affordable Housing (100% Intermediate). APPROVED 07/01/2016 and Completed.
- Plantation Wharf [p.a. 2016/5644]: Up to 18 storeys, 127 residential units, no agreement on Affordable Housing. APPROVED 23/03/2017
- Candle Makers, 100 York Rd [p.a. 2017/0745]: Up to 25 storeys, 136 residential units, 21 % (28) Affordable Housing (100% Intermediate). APPROVED 20/07/2017 (awaiting GLA).
- 58-70 York Rd [p.a. 2017/5818]: Up to 14 storeys, 82 residential units, 35 % (29) Affordable Housing (100% Intermediate). APPROVED 02/05/2018 and Under Construction.
- Business Park (Big Yellow Site) [p.a. 2018/3776]: Up to 20 storeys, 168 residential units, 35.7 % (60) Affordable Housing (21 Intermediate / 39 Affordable). APPROVED 18/04/2019.
- Winstanley Estate [Phase 0 = p.a. 2017/6864; p.a. 2019/0024]: = likely to be around 500 along York Road (Block 1=239 private sale units; Block 5=136 affordable units; Block 6=64 private sale units and 63 affordable units along York Road with up to 2550 residential units for the full redevelopment of the estates). Phase 0 APPROVED 02/05/2018 and Under Construction.
TOTAL so far = 168+299+82+173+135+33+136+14+127= 1167 units
+239+136+64+63 = 502 units from Winstanley-York
=1669 units along York road only
+ 2048 (for the rest of the Winstanley-York regeneration) = 3717 units within the York Road area!
The only major transport improvement currently being considered is Crossrail 2, likely not to happen for the next 15 to 20 years, and still under discussion for funding.
- Planning in Wandsworth: is the Council out of control?
- There is no housing shortage: stop using that to justify any scheme!
- Appalling exhibition on the future of the Winstanley/Clapham Junction Station area
- Post justification exercise by Wandsworth Council to justify cluster of towers in York Road area
- Public Meeting York area: the videos